Off The Bookshelf: Building Up Your Library

Hey hey.  Back with my first non-make up related post.  Every now and again, I'm planning to post some books I happen to like in the hopes of offering suggestions to those interested in building up there own libraries.  I know I am constantly on the hunt for new things to read (which usually ends up with me bugging my wonderful Best Friend, Sophie, for stuff she can suggest.  She hasn't failed me yet!)  So here are a couple of books.  Some of these were actually required readings for my Ancient History course I recently finished.  However, since I'm a complete and total nerd, I happened to enjoy what I read.  So, take from it what you will and make sure to get your knowledge on in the process.


1. The Bacchae by Euripides



For those of you, who like me, became recently obsessed with the show, True Blood (based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, which I've been reading for many years now), you'll want to read this play.  Why would you want to read a play by some ancient Greek dude?  Well, if you recall in Season 2 of our beloved vampire and shapeshifter laden show, Mary-ann was a crazy ass chick who was actually a Maenad.  This book will give you some insight into what exactly the heck a Maenad is.  These women LOVE Dionysus.  Can't get enough of him.  Anyway, check it out.  It's a short, quick read and you might come away even more confused or you might find you actually enjoyed the horribly tragic tale of a guy who just doesn't get it when it comes to giving a god like Dionysus some proper respect.  

2.  American Gods by Neil Gaiman



So if this book isn't already in your personal library you need to ask yourself, "what the hell is wrong with me?"  This book, along with its ridiculously talented author, is something that is a must have.  This action packed adventure is filled with all kinds of awesomeness.  Read this and follow the journey of Shadow who is thrown into a seriously crazy world where Gods, both ancient and very new are about to get their holy battle on for the soul of America.  Really, Neil Gaiman has not written a book that has disappointed me yet.  I highly recommend checking him out if you happened to just climb out from under a literary rock to find yourself not recognizing his name. :)  

3. The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius



So check out that handsome dude on the cover huh? That would be Julius Caesar...you know, the crazy Roman dude that decided it would be a good idea to make himself Emperor for Life?  Yeah, that one.  This book gives you some wonderful information regarding some of the craziest bastards to ever rule the Roman Empire.  Suetonius was kind enough to write for us some information regarding the wonderful Julio-Claudian rulers, including Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero...and a few more that probably not many people remember.   So, if you ever want to read something about some of the most seriously screwed up individuals who managed to rule Rome, get this book.  If you happened to already watch Rome, the television series, you could read this and then impress some of your friends when you can tell them things that might not be correct in the show. Or you could just be a geek like me and read it because you actually like reading history related books for fun instead of going out on Saturday night.


So that concludes my "Off the Bookshelf" segment for now.  I hope to post more in the future and I truly hope anybody who reads this seriously considers reading some of the books I've suggested (If you haven't read them already, that is.)

Hugs,
Tiff
























**Disclaimer:  All material listed was purchased by me.  I am in no way affiliated with anyone representing these books, nor am I being paid or influenced in any way to suggest these materials.**
1 Response
  1. Okie Says:

    Great choice of books to highlight.