Valentine's Day (Rant)
So anybody actually celebrating Valentine's Day? I wonder sometimes if there's something wrong with me because I can't get into the spirit of Valentine's Day according to how we're supposed to celebrate it in the United States.  I don't see how candy is supposed to be more exciting to me on that day of the year when I happen to love candy just as much every other day.  I can go buy it without having silly little sayings on it that are supposed to be all happy and romantic.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my husband and I love getting gifts, but I don't understand why a day that was originally a feast day for a Saint got turned into the consumer driven machine that it is today.  I don't want my husband to buy me a gift because he feels obligated.  If he sees something he thinks I'd like and happens to get it then that's nice.  Especially if it's out of the blue and not on a day that stores everywhere tell you that they have the perfect gift for your lady.  I'd rather spend the money on something we both enjoy anyway that we'd do whether it was a holiday or not.  So, I guess I can give one piece of advice to people.  If you care about somebody there are lots of ways you can show it without having to go out and buy a silly card, roses, chocolates, a stuffed animal etc.  Don't feel pressured to have to go crazy on gifts.  Personally, my husband and I generally just discuss things we might want or we just say, forget getting a gift and we'll spend the money on something cool.  Well, anyway I'm ranting.  I guess I just think it's a little bit silly and it makes me sort of uncomfortable when romance is forced on you because it's what's expected from you on that day of the year.  But that's just me.

What do you think?  Do you think Valentine's Day and other holidays like that have gotten out of control with consumerism etc. that they've completely lost touch with what it was meant for in the first place? I know I certainly feel that way about several holidays.  Valentine's Day is definitely one of them.
0 Responses